HOW TO MAKE THE MOST MONEY FROM YOUR METALS
By doing a few simple things, you can make more money when you sell your metals. Can Land pays top prices for recycling scrap metals in Denver, Thornton, Arvada, Golden, Evergreen, Boulder, Littleton and Northglenn. We buy all metals, sorted or un-sorted. Here are some suggestions to put more money in your pocket when you recycle scrap metals at Can Land Recycling Center:
1. IDENTIFY – First figure out what type of metal you have. Here are some tests you can do to see what metals you have to recycle.
A. MAGNET TEST: Start with a magnet. You can use something as simple as a refrigerator magnet.
1. If the magnet sticks to your metal, you probably have steel (there are a few other metals that stick to a magnet, such as nickel or tungsten carbide but they are uncommon). Keep your steel separate.
2. If the magnet does not stick, you probably have another type of metal, such as copper, brass, or aluminum. Keep these types of metals separate
B. FILE TEST: Next, you can file into the metal with the edge of a file. You are looking for the color of the metal and the hardness. Here are some possibilities:
i. Bright Red, Soft – Copper
ii. Dull Red, Semi-hard – Red Brass
iii. Yellow, Semi-hard – Yellow Brass
iv. Bright White, Soft (the file will stick) – Aluminum
v. Dull Grey, Soft (the metal feels almost greasy) – Die Cast also called Pot Metal
vi. Dull Grey, Very Soft – Lead
vii. Dull Silver, Very Hard– Stainless Steel
2. SORT – Once you determine the type of metals you have, sort all the same types together and keep them separate from each other
3. CLEAN – If the metals you have are mixed, you may be able make more money by cleaning the non-like-kind of metals off. Here are some examples:
A. Aluminum Screen Doors – remove all the screws, glass, rubber, die cast corner pieces and handles, and keep the clean extruded aluminum separate because it pays the most:
B. Yellow Brass Valves – remove the aluminum handle, stainless steel and steel screws, plastic, and any other metals. Keep the brass separate and you will be paid for clean brass.
C. Transmissions – aluminum transmissions have to have everything removed from the case, such as the oil, steel, and all other metals. You will be paid for clean cast aluminum.
D. Aluminum Car Wheels – remove the tire and the lead wheel weights. You will be paid for aluminum car rims.
3. CALL US WITH QUESTIONS Call Can Land at 303-426-4141 and we will be glad to answer your questions. or contact us today!